Before the Second world war in the range of the then young British automobile company, Bentley Motors was presented racing car Corniche. It existed only in one copy and was lost during the fighting. By the centenary of the company, the automaker was able to restore the legendary car.
The development of the car was engaged in designer Georges Polen, and the manufacturer took over the French body Studio Carrosserie Vanvooren. The model was to become a more powerful and aggressive version of the Bentley Mark V with a forced engine and debut with him in the middle of the autumn of 1939.
The ready-made prototype of the sports version of the car was ready, but with the beginning of the second world war to begin mass production did not have time.
At the time of development, Corniche looked very futuristic. Abandoning the classic brand for a large vertical grille, Bentley was able to improve the aerodynamics of the car. Corniche managed to test on the oval track Brooklands, where he showed a top speed of 161 km/h.
Prototype Corniche experienced several accidents during testing: first, there was a collision with the bus, and a couple of months with the management of the pilot failed, crashed into a tree. After the work was finished, the car was bombed in Dieppe. The car was considered missing until 2001 when the historian and former Director of Bentley Ken Lee began to collect original spare parts from the car.
Then the collection was transferred to the Mulliner division, which planned to recreate the car for the 100th anniversary of the brand. The model uses the original palette of colors, upholstery materials corresponding to the era, carpet and door maps are made of the same materials as the prototype. The cherry on the cake was the assembled original box of tools, which was to be completed with a production version of the car Corniche in 1939.