What is search marketing? A few years ago, this term simply did not exist. However, the rapid development of Internet technologies has led not only to the emergence of this trend but also to its amazing popularity. At the moment, search marketing is known as an effective way of promotion, which includes a range of activities aimed at achieving only one goal - to attract customers.
Table of Contents
If you have not encountered this term before, it's time to get acquainted with it. Search engine marketing involves promotion in search engines in order to attract the target audience. I must say that this is a whole system in which several specialists are involved. They are marketers, programmers, copywriters, designers, etc.
Compared to other methods of search engine marketing on the Internet has a major advantage. It allows you to reach out to an audience that is interested in the proposal addressed to it. This is due to the fact that it comes to the search engine for an answer to your request. Offering what potential visitors need, you both benefit. Customers get what they're looking for, and you get real customers.
Search marketing is still a fairly new technology. Therefore, users have a logical question: why is it needed and whether it is needed at all? Let's find out.
So, the main task of search marketing is to attract potential consumers. And not random, but only interested. After all, the offer is addressed only to those who are already looking for a product or service that you are ready to offer.
However, in order for a user to notice your website among dozens of competitors, it is necessary to use various methods of search marketing. After all, as a rule, scrolling through the issue, the user rarely browses more than ten sites. Competently using the latest technology, you can be in the top ten and get ahead of competitors in the fight for the attention of potential customers.
The theoretical definition does not always give an accurate understanding. Let's try to find out how search engine marketing works and what it's for.
So, suppose that a budding entrepreneur decided to open his own business – to sell lingerie in an online store. This is a popular product that is in demand.
However, in any area, you need advertising that allows you to attract customers. Because their absence means no profit. For start-up entrepreneurs, all costs are on the account, and any advertising is not cheap.
There are many companies that offer search marketing among other services. You can even link the amount of payment to the result or make parts. That is, first the entrepreneur receives real customers, and then from the profits makes the rest of the payment for such an unusual method of advertising. Convenient to all.
Goals and Tasks
Knowing the definition is not enough. You need to know for what purposes search marketing is used.
- Sales. This is the most obvious task that this method of promotion performs. It is necessary to attract interested buyers to the site who will make a purchase.
- Image. The more often a person will see the logo of your company, the more likely that he will remember you and sooner or later become a client.
- Reputation. If we are talking about the promotion in social networks, a large value can have reviews. It is advisable to find a way to encourage buyers to leave real reviews. The more positive opinions can be collected, the greater the level of confidence in the company among potential customers.
- Competition. The market for goods and services is currently oversaturated. That is why it is especially important to compete and win customers over to your own side.
- Information. You can offer users up-to-date information about the products and services they are interested in. Even if they don't buy anything right away, your company will become an expert for them. In the future, they can return, choosing you among the many competitors.
Methods and Technologies
You need to understand that SEM (search engine marketing) is the whole complex of actions, which may include website optimization, contextual and launching viral advertising, and on the Internet resource work more effectively, attracting target customers and converting them into real buyers. So, what are the technologies of search marketing?
- Contextual advertising.
- Targeted advertising.
- Search engine optimization.
- Social network.
Let's talk more about some of the technologies listed above.
Search engine optimization
This is only part of the marketing campaign. It involves working directly with the promoted site. Moreover, search engine optimization can be both internal and external. In the first case, work with texts published on the website, metatags, links, etc. In the second case, efforts are aimed at increasing the number of links to third-party resources.
There are a considerable number of factors that allow you to improve the position of the site in search results. A simple user does not need to know all of them. To do this, there is a separate profession, representatives of which are engaged in search engine optimization.
This system for placing paid ads, created by the search engines. Each user can create their own ads and thus attract the target audience to their own website.
The advantage of contextual advertising is that the user does not pay for the fact of placing an advertisement. Payment is charged only if the user clicked on the ad and went to the specified site.
Another important feature is that to get to the top lines do not need long and painstakingly to optimize the site. You can buy this place for a fee, exhibited by the search engine. It is difficult to predict how high the conversion will be in this case.
These sites are incredibly popular among the population. It is not surprising that this is quite successfully used by marketers. In this case, often published interesting for users' materials, to support communication in thematic communities, etc. In a sense, marketing in social networks can be called hidden. In addition, this method of advertising is not suitable for all companies. Not every product can be advertised with beautiful photos on social networks and enticing texts.
Search marketing security
This question becomes relevant if illegal methods of promotion are used. Conventionally, they are called "gray" and " black".
Above were described exclusively "white" methods of search marketing, which are loyal to the search engines. Such a conscientious promotion requires a lot of time and effort, but ultimately increases the reputation of the site and gives a reliable result.
Why then use "gray" and "black" schemes? For the reason that not all site owners are willing to invest a lot of time, effort, and money in the fair promotion. However, you need to understand that when using unscrupulous methods then it will be extremely difficult to restore the reputation of the site or even impossible.
- automatic link exchange and purchase;
- placement of links to non-thematic sites.
Some of these methods can produce results, but they can also lead to a site ban. Then it will disappear from the search results. Is it worth the risk, each site owner decides for himself.
- Delayed result. It may take several weeks of hard work to see the first results of search marketing. We must understand that this is a task that involves long-term implementation. Do not take it, waiting for lightning-fast results.
- Dependence on competitors. Even if as a result of well-organized search marketing you will be able to be in a good position in the issuance, all at any time can change because of the actions of your competitors.
- Complexity. It is almost impossible to carry out the whole complex of measures to promote the company on the Internet alone. This requires a whole team of professionals, not random people.
- Financial cost. You will have to pay for both professional services and search marketing. For example, if we are talking about contextual advertising. You need to understand that the promotion cannot be absolutely free.